Whether you’re just getting started in your professional career, or you’re at a higher level, there’s one thing you can never avoid: human interaction. Business body language has entered the chat!
Getting through life is hard enough without being able to read the people you are working with. Review the following cues the next time you’re questioning someone’s truthfulness.
- Rapid blinking
- Sudden movement (jerking their head back)
- Opposite movement (positive response while shaking head NO)
- Fidgeting – Full-body fidgeting indicates lying 75% of the time.
- Touching their face
- Repetition – repeating a lie works – vertising uses repetition. Psychologists call it the ‘illusion of truth effect’.
- Trouble speaking (dry mouth, um, ah)
- Getting aggressive and pointing
- Stressed breathing (try to get more oxygen for fight or flight)
- Suddenly relaxing when you change the subject